General Description: Middle School Humanities Teacher
The Middle School Humanities Teacher will teach middle school history and great books classes. The Middle School Humanities Teacher is tasked with fostering rich, structured, and thoughtful classes that introduce students to socratic education and the history of ideas. He/she will design and implement syllabi towards the successful completion of the established curriculum, maintain grade books, and establish proper communication with parents.
Middle School Humanities Teacher Responsibilities:
- Teaching—The Middle School Humanities Teacher is responsible for the instruction of ancient, medieval, and modern history classes and great books classes. The Middle School Humanities Teacher will:
- Teach multiple sections of middle school humanities classes spanning various periods of history and types of reading and writing instruction. Classes will include extensive instruction in writing mechanics and style and essay writing.
- Manage classroom orderliness, cleanliness, and good habits in students.
- May be asked to facilitate a student club or project.
- Teach special topics elective seminar in a chosen area of interest, as needed
- Meet with students and parents individually as needed.
- Administration—At The Saint Constantine School, we value teaching first and foremost, so administrative duties will be focused solely on those things that benefit the classroom and the families of our students.
- Establish and maintain a syllabus for the class that clearly outlines the goals, learning outcomes, and work expected over the course of the year.
- Maintain grade books for all students, updating grades and comments (when applicable) every two weeks or more.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in English or History required. Teaching experience in a classical school or university preferred. Extensive personal and/or professional experience in working with children. Excellent rapport with junior high and high school students. Excellent written communication with a strong understanding of the mechanics and style of the English language. Strong understanding of the ethos and values of The Saint Constantine School philosophy of education and play.
Reports To: Dean, Head of School
Salary Classification: Full time, exempt
Supervision Of Others: None
Hours Per Week: 40*
*This is a teaching position, and at times may require investments above and beyond the aforementioned, approximate time commitment, including some evenings and weekends.
Compensation & Benefits
- $40,000 – $55,000 annual salary range
- Health insurance paid by school (Family coverage at employee’s option and cost)
- Life insurance, long term and short term disability, paid by the school
- Access to Dental, Vision, 401K and Life Insurance plans
- Tuition Remission PK -12 plus College for up to 5 children; Subsidized staff nursery
It is the policy of The Saint Constantine School (TSCS) to make all employment-related decisions for its employees and applicants in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability. TSCS hires individuals who are committed to supporting the school’s beliefs, as expressed in the Religious Requirements for Employed Administrators, Faculty, and Staff of The Saint Constantine School. TSCS will employ only persons who are authorized to work in the United States. All new hires must abide by the TSCS Employee Handbook.